Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Not So Wordy Wednesday
























One of the very first blogs I ever read was Alicia's Paulson's wonderful Posie gets Cozy.  I'm pretty sure you will be a devoted follower too, and if not, where have you been?

Alicia has a set pattern for her blog posts; she loads a whole lot of delightful photos and then she talks to us about them in a narrative which follows underneath.  I seem to be blogging less and less these days, quite simply because time seems to fly by and before I know it, another week or even ten days has passed by.  It's not my intention to blog in this way all the time, but as I seem to be playing catch up and I have a real jumble of things to share with you, Alicia's method spoke to me and so today, here I am, giving it a try.

So, we are through half term already which seemed to see us fitting an awful lot into a short space of time.  We did head West later in the week, stopping in Alresford in Hampshire which is a favourite little town.  Some nice individual shops for me, the steam railway for the boys and a lovely cosy pub for lunch for us all.  The weather was quite kind whilst we were in Somerset. I took some crafty bits and bobs with me, mainly a tin full of narrow, teeny strips of yummy vintage fabric.  We made the obligatory trip to Bridders on the Saturday and we also fitted in a flea market.  I didn't feel like I found much this time, seems like there is a lack of stock around, not least because there are no car boot sales, I suppose.  Still, when I unpacked my haul, and needed to find a home for it, I had amassed quite a little treasure trove.  Lots of very inspiring stuff.

Now that the shower room is finished...  Excuse me just a minute, whoah, let's rewind there.  Did somebody say THE SHOWER ROOM IS FINISHED?  Well, after a final push we were frustrated to find we'd been sent the incorrect part for the shower screens so a wait ensued and Handyman Steve went home while the part winged its slow way from Cumbria (thank goodness for buying British, though).  To all intents and purposes, it is finished but I think I want to make something to dress the window, I even bought some fabric yesterday, so when that is done, we shall have a grand unveiling ceremony.  But there are a few snaps today just to keep you going.

I am enjoying having the house back to myself and have done a spot of baking here and there.  I always feel quite unsettled when there is someone here working and find it hard to stick to my little routine.  I tend to hide myself away in my Den, always a source of inspiration and pleasure, and following my energetic quilt listing session last week, I have been swept off my feet with orders and requests for custom work. I started a pretty pastel quilt for a cat lover, today.  This is to include the colours pink and green, which are my favourite, so I am being spoiled in making this quilt, really.  I am making it for a lovely lady who has commissioned me before and it always feels such a pleasure to have people return.

So, I fear it's time to leave my little space here for today and get back to that quilt (more like, I cannot wait!) and look forward to a slice of tea loaf later.  I have some of those pretty raggy fabric rosettes listed in my Etsy shop along with the iPad (other tablets are available) cover, so watch that space if you are feeling like a treat.

Thanks for reading.  Xxx

21 comments:

  1. That's a veritable fabric stash you have there!! Love your brooch :)
    Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, especially of your Hen Den. If I had a fabric stash like that, I'd never want to come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos today. At first I thought the picture of your den was a store. My goodness you have a fabric stash to envy! Such a cheerful home you have made. Yes, I follow Posie gets Cozy. She lives very close to my daughter in Portland. We would love her to visit our bloggers lunch when Teresa, Taci, Gracie and I get together when I visit but understandably she is very busy. Thank you for the colorful visit today!
    BLessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am a devoted fan of Alicia's blog but I am equally a fan of your blog. I love your work especially your quilts as well as reading about your adventures around the UK. Please keep it up. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post! Love your photos and your work! Very bright and cheery on a cold winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uplifting as always, brightening my day, thank you Hen. Just learnt how to leave a comment here after many fruitless attempts, never been good with tech! Look forward to seeing the 'tadah' revealing of shower room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May I please come and live with you??? LOL!!! My heart always skips a couple of beats when I open you blog to read. My eyes pop out of my head and my tongue hangs out! I am afraid I would have a heart attack looking at all that lovely fabric. See, I'm a wreck! I love Posy get Cozy, but your blog is just as entertaining!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog in whatever form you wish to follow! Always love your photos, projects, and cheery words. I also find it unsettling when there's someone working in the house, the home being such a personal refuge. Glad you have the den for your own retreat!
    Best,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hen, as someone who almost managed not to have a single February post, I definitely understand about finding time for every interest...and noticing over and over again that each day only has 24 hours. Like your fluffy furry pals, sleep is important to me, much more important than burning any midnight oil...even when working on something I love to do.

    And so, I do admire, and appreciate, the format you've used for this post. Your photographs are wonderful and the subject matter is delightful. I particularly like those loopy printed fabric brooches...it's as if a Japanese chrysanthemum festival got crossed with Liberty. Fantastic results!

    Still. If you do find time in future to revert to your familiar chatty, friendly enclosing of the excellent photographs with your commentary, I think that you will retain a very, very special quality that those of us who've been visiting here for ages love to see.

    Of course, after all, the beauty of blogging is to have the freedom to create posts exactly as you wish. And so, dear Hen, I will keep on visiting here every single time I see that you've posted.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, your world is full of so much colour, pattern and loveliness - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures, the shower room is looking fab :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, always enjoy reading your blog and seeing your wonderful, inspirational makes. I must now look further at your "Quilty Fun" book. And love the Moda fabric. Just caught a glimpse of your dolls house - I remember seeing this in one of your earlier photos - I have the identical house!! I had so much fun making furniture and clothes for my dolls.
    Best wishes
    Caz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your collection of squares and precicely-cut octagons inspires me. Accuracy eludes me. I am new to quilting, and I have discovered that the tiny things mean a lot. I intend to improve, and gain patience! I may just make a collage of pics like yours that are so meticulously cut! Thanks! Beautiful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had just come from Alicia's blog to yours, and I so like this style. In part because you're never figuring out if the words refer to the picture above, or the picture below. I recognized a few fabrics in those photos and could not be happier they have found a home with you. And the Moda April showers? I have that print in blue, a vintage one. Happy days, Hen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that fabric stash is out of this world - I have never done quilting but would love to give it a try. Your pictures are stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Hen as always a treat for the eyes, I do love everything about your blog Hen, it just hits the spot for me. I do adore your new brooches and will be popping over to have a look. I am still using my lovely bag which I recently treated myself to and boy have I had some compliments so I have guided them to you shop. Have a really wonderful weekend Hen, big hugs
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh your neat stash of fabrics is so delightful! Makes me want to get right in there a pull out a few and start creating! I always have a tin of bits of fabric and a project in the making with me where ever I go too! Your ragged flowers are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. One word .... SCRUMPTIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness! That picture of your stash closet is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooosh just exploded on divine picture overload! your space is a treasure! x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X