Friday, 22 March 2013

Pretty Pastel Fair

It's a week of exciting adventures, dear readers, and today I set off by rail for Kingston Town (no not the one in Jamaica).  I was there for a special event, the likes of which I had not been to before.  After an easy stroll through the shopping streets of Kingston, there was no missing the venue.


Yes, this was the venue for the official book launch of Selina Lake's "Pretty Pastel Style" with most excitingly, its accompanying fair.  The entrance foyer had been beautifully decorated.


Oooh and there was the bike, the promised raffle prize, adorned with stunning David Austin roses.


The fair and book signing was being held in the upper hall and the staircase led us enticingly upstairs.


The hall was a very pretty room in its own right but even more so when filled with lovely-looking stalls.

I was delighted by the beautiful makes of Lucinda and her company Sesame and Lilly.




She has used pretty vintage fabrics and trims to super effect.


A lot of her work was beautifully detailed and you needed to look close to see all the dinky beads and stitches.


This contrasted with the goodies next door, lovely handmade items crafted from wood with painted details in pretty colours by Anna Wiscombe.


Peach Blossom has some very pretty paper products including those covetable stripey paper straws, glassine envelopes and doilies. I love a doily!


I was taken with these pretty painted egg cups on the stall of MiaFleur.  


They also had some original vintage pieces, some of which had quirky touches added, like these lace-trimmed tea towels.


Next door, I was very pleased to see Nicky Grace and her gorgeous handmade items, as I loved the images of Nicky's home in the book.


Lovely cheery colours on a rather un-Springlike day.

I then found beautiful flowers and pretty objects, courtesy of Love Lane Vintage (I understand you can find these two sisters on Facebook and Twitter but I will leave that to you as I cannot find my way round those sites!)


I came home with a pretty posy like the one pictured, it smelled divine because of the petite paperwhites tucked within it.  The ladies are running a country brocante in Sussex in April (I imagine you shall find details on Facebook).


At this time, I felt it was time to refuel so headed for ...


What delights awaited me.  Again, I was impressed by all the effort the ladies had gone to to make it look so lovely.  There were pretty tablecloths and more gorgeous roses on each table and piles of teetering vintage china.  I even found a friend serving the teas!


Cakey Bakes had a fab display groaning with yummy things to eat and drink (I can vouch for the chocolate orange cupcake).




There was also an utterly amazing cakey display made specially for the event!  Yes, those books are made of icing.


Ladies were sat with Yvonne of Yvestown learning to crochet and there was the opportunity to enter the draw to win that pretty bike.


Back in the main hall, there were a few stalls remaining over which to swoon.


I also chatted with the folks from Plastikote who had brought out a new range of very prettily coloured spray paints.  Thank goodness, this feels like one product I've been waiting for.


The things they'd made and sprayed looked fab and thanks to them giving me some cans of paint to try, I shall get back to you and let you know how that goes.  (I was told you can find Plastikote on Facebook and they will happily answer any of your queries there.)

I've saved one of my favourites until last.


You may recall that in my post the other day, I showed you an embroidery in a hoop that I had been working on.  This was inspired by a photograph in Selina's book of a gorgeous original item made by Vicky Trainor whom I was lucky enough to meet today.

Vicky and her friend were delightfully chatty and the stand looked beautiful, both the handmade and vintage items.  You can find Vicky at The Linen Garden and drool over all the beautiful things she makes there.


(To the lady who enquired following my post the other day, yes I started my piece with a bit of salvaged embroidered teacloth and then appliqued and embroidered onto that.)


So, all in all, a really lovely day.  I just wished there were even more lovely  stalls to prolong the experience!  A huge amount of effort had obviously gone into decorating the venue and it was lovely for me to see so many makers who were new to me.  Without a doubt, this fair had the friendliest stall holders, they really were a delight to chat with.  I also bumped into some fellow Instagrammers and had a lovely natter with them, too.  

I was tempted, of course, by many things but was fairly restrained (whoever organised three fairs in one week did not take into account my budget!)


I arrived home happy and tired, to find that a certain furry ginger striped somebody was in exactly the same spot as when I left him!


Who can blame him!  Have a super weekend. X

44 comments:

  1. What a lovely event! I wish I could have gone. I was wondering whether you'd seen Yvonne; I had read her post about her plans to participate. So many beautiful things to see there, it must have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EU QUERER ESTAR AI,PERTO DE TODAS ESSAS COISAS LINDAS,AMEI.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL) :)) :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a busy week you've had Hen! Lots of loveliness to drool over, I'm very envious ... and the weather looks a lot better than here too!

    Enjoy your weekend, won't you?

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A most wonderful and inspiring post! I shall have to follow up all the links. I don't go to many events so it is nice to see them through your blog Hen. I wonder who won the bike? I would be quite happy to win the bucnh of roses that were in the basket! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three in a week!!!! You will need at least a week to recover- off to Kaffe next week ( when I am at the theatre three times, so I'm just as bad). Have a cosy weekend.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your delightful post! It's the next best thing to actually being there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a lovely time for you (and the furry ginger cat)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely parade of photos, lifts the soul to look at them. I especially like the Linen Garden trim in the second from last picture, I must have a look on their site and see if they have any more. I can feel a spot of birthday money spending coming on, and that isn't until next week either :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely! I've never been to a fair that made so much effort to make everything a feast for the eyes. I fell in love with those straws and have just had a little spend on their site. (I'm fibbing about the 'little' bit)! Thank you so much for sharing.X

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely fair (and wasn't that statue very golden?!) I love how they packaged the cupcakes and I adore the stripy straws - so much so that I have just googled Pippi and got totally sucked in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i wished i'd known i was in Kingston Wednesday and didn't go round to that area or i might of seen some advertising the whole thing looked wonderful,there is often vintage fairs and things going on at Twickenham rugby stadium,short walk or bus ride from Twickenham train station,i sometimes see them in the local paper.
    i live in Isleworth so both are easy for me to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for taking us with you again. I'm so happy to be traveling with you this week! The stalls were beautifully done and the goodies looked delicious. I'm wishing for something like that around me, but alas, I haven't heard of it yet.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a smashing day you had. I just think you are so lucky to have this all close at hand.
    A big thank you for showing all those beautiful stalls so much hard work buy so talented crafters. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, what a fun time you had! Lucky you! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much lovely stuff all under the same roof, how did you contain yourself!!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post, Hen.
    You get to go to some great events, and I'm so pleased that you share them with us, thank you.
    What a fab raffle prize, did you win it!!!
    Some gorgeous things on show, all so pretty, and the cupcakes look very tasty, the book cake is brilliant, surely that wasn't eaten??

    Have a great weekend
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great inspiration photos!Your fabric is beautiful!Looking forward to seeing it!Thanks for stopping by white lace cottage.I am now following along now too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely day out! I would find it very difficult not to spend all my money there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many pretty things! Looks like a great day out. My giveaway arrived yesterday, I'll be posting about it soon. Thank you so much :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow...what an amazing fair. I would have been in my element...and although you were restrained on the purchases you have got a lovely pretty stash of goodies...well chosen. Thanks for the links too...the Anna Wiscombe birds are absolutely perfect for a gift for very special friend of mine. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely fair. How do you get to know about all the fairs? I always seem to find out too late! Thanks for sharing your day and all the links to crafters I had never heard of before. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I do so enjoy your posts. Nothing like this ever appears in my corner of Norfolk.... and just so you know, the link to The Linen Garden isn't worth following at the moment as the site is under maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely pictures, the cupcakes looked yummy,the plasticote new colours look fab,planning on a few spray jobs in the near future ! I wonder who won the Bicycle ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love to go on these trips! So many pretty fabrics and crafts.....fun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So many lovely photographs to drool over! Really interested in the plasticote......I must investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh My....what an absolutely lovely event. I am sure I would absolutely swoon if surrounded by all those pastel temptations...sigh.

    Thank You for sharing them with us : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. My goodness! So much to take in- you must have had an amazing time. And that cake and lemonade stand looks absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Talented people and beautiful displays!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an amazing event, thank you for sharing these fascinating photos, Hen! Lots of interesting and lovely things....loved the cake display with the real-looking iced cake books!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks so much for sharing your day. What lovely displays and wares. I feel as though I was there-an armchair mini retreat to England and a beautiful venue. I appreciate the links as I will definitely follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another lovely day - thank you for taking us on the trip with you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. so lovely to meet you on Friday and to share natterings about our makings and I look forward to seeing what you have made with your ribbon xxx Your readers may be interested to know that The Linen Garden has now been switched back on as I have now returned back to the studio from the fair xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great eye candy for your friends across the pond. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, what a lovely and pretty day you had!! Such prettiness and inspiring things!! Happy weekend! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  36. What lovely photographs. I enjoyed reading about your trip, at the moment I can hardly bear to leave the house as it's so cold but I've bookmarked some of the sites to browse over in my cosy house instead. thankyou for taking us with you virtually though.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oooh, lovely post! I'm very envious. Love those birdies! X

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks like a most wonderful day. Those colours are beautiful.
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Have just discovered your blog–what a great find! I'm completely with you on loving Miss Marple, and agree, no one comes close to Joan Hickson in portraying her.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you so much for featuring our stall! It was really lovely to meet you and you have a very lovely blog! Hollie :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you so much for featuring our stall. It was really lovely to meet you and you have an absolutely gorgeous blog! Hollie :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Those wooden birds are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I feel as though I have been there! Super pictures! I want to make cupcakes and fabric goodies now!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I really enjoyed going along to this event with you as you showed us all the stalls and yummy cakes, I too felt like I was there, so thank you. It does take a long time getting photographs and writing a post, well I appreciated you sharing the event here.
    Happy Easter, hope the sun is shining all weekend.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X