Monday, 20 February 2012

A Very Vintage Weekend

Well, there's another weekend flown by and this past one was rather a good one for me and the old man. With the Munchkin taken care of for the night, I decided we deserved a treat so made a few last minute bookings and told Mr HH to be ready to leave in his vintage finest, late Saturday.






(Please excuse the mess while all the building works are going on.)



We dropped our overnight case at the hotel and then headed out for dinner. We were in the trendy London area of Shoreditch. It was fun to venture somewhere new although in reality, it's not far form where Mr HH works (and I used to work). That's London for you though, go round the corner and it feels like you're in a different place entirely.


Via the handy TopTable, I'd happened upon booking this little restaurant, tucked away down a side street.






Deli by day, it serves a different menu for dinner each night, the chef writing up the dishes on a chalkboard according to what is fresh and available.






We had a great meal. The restaurant is unpretentious, the staff were friendly and attentive, the wine was delicious as was all the food. Hmm, I'm not sure how I fitted it all in, given the vintage foundation garments!





On then to the next stop of our mystery tour, The Fox Pub which was home to The Vintage Mafia's social night, The Ric Rac Club. This particular evening, the girls of The Vintage Mafia were celebrating the launch of a book (about vintage clothing) written by one of their number and in which most of them model the clothes, I think.





It was a nice old boozer and the crowd was not too full thankfully. We enjoyed a complimentary cocktail and otherwise spent the evening in fairly low-key style, having a natter amongst ourselves and listening to the vintage tunes.






It was fun to people watch and most had dressed up really stylishly in vintage or retro clothing.















We managed to just about make it past midnight before heading back to our hotel. It was a treat just to wander five minutes round the corner and flop straight into bed!


You see, the next day, we had more plans and wasted no time getting on our way to Hammersmith to mooch at the London Vintage Fashion Fair.






Oh what delightful goodies. This is a super fair where the goods on offer really can be described as vintage.





These gorgeous '40s shoes were pristine as the seller informed me they had come straight from the old factory where they were made in Belgium. Sadly, as is so often the case with vintage shoes of this era, they were all small, size 3 or thereabouts. Drat! It was a pleasure to see the vintage designs in the flesh.






There is rail after rail of beautiful dresses, many 1930's long floaty chiffon styles, which look so delicate I'd be afraid to wear them but the quality, fabric and beading are stunning. (Put me in the mood perfectly for last night's Upstairs, Downstairs.)






Fabulous accessories also abound.






I love this stall, it is always beautifully arranged and full of pretty brooches and compacts and just delectable vintage treasures.






I also loved that frilly pink lace dress. Oh to have somewhere to go to wear a frock like that!












More beautiful floral dresses hung from rails up on the stage.






Decisions, decisions...







I treated myself to this lovely little dish to hold my ever-expanding collection of vintage jewellery and posy brooches and also snapped up the embroidered black gloves.






And for sunnier days, I couldn't resist a couple of pretty cotton frocks.







Now, back to work and on with the week ahead...

36 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fab weekend! I like the dresses you chose, and the gloves are so elegant. Now roll on the weather for the dresses, rather than that for the gloves!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful time. I love all the vintage purchases, and the restaurant looked lovely. Your front door is gorgeous. Have a good week, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous weekend! I am in deep envy!!Your purchases are great, just love those gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely weekend.Having these things on your doorstep must be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A post of total fabulous-ness!
    I think that's one of the beauties of good vintage stuff...even if I find nothing to fit I can revel in the beauty of the item. Wonderful fabrics, patterns and trims. Lush.
    Thank you for sharing all these wonderful photographs! (Hope Munchkin had a fun W/E too!).
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!!! i love the look of that restaurant - i am going to put that on my list xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOoooH! Pretty Pretty! Love the two dresses.
    Looks like you had the most wonderful weekend.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a special weekend. Wonderful pictures, thank you.
    Love your little dish and an excellent choice of summer dresses.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very jealous, what a wonderful weekend you have had.

    Really love those summer dresses and those black gloves are beautiful - a really lovely find.

    Hope you haven't got the Monday blues - that's the only problem when you have such a brilliant weekend, always feels a bit flat once the other half has to be back in work!

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh Hen you and your family are so cute! You really do live the vintage life.
    I have started my new blog in case you havent heard, come find me
    www.selfsewn.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog posts are just treasures! For a few minutes I am totally transported. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful weekend Hen! I like the dress on the left in the last photo. Although retro it looks very 'now' too! Mr H does remind me of Paddington Bear with his leather suitcase! You didn't find him on paddington station did you?!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh what a LOVELY weekend you had - Very jealous! I adore the dresses you bought - fingers crossed for some lovely weather this year; i would have been in vintage heaven there and my purse would definitely have come home empty :)! Have a lovely week, love your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. oohhh Hen...what a lovely time you had!
    I adore the dresses!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely grown up weekend - very civilised!
    The restaurant looks fab. I like to think tight clothes are always the sign of a good time. My work clothes are certainly pinching a bit today after half term!
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. And don't you both look lovely in your vintage finery. So glad to know that you both enjoyed yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic weekend! I love the lace dresses :) Maggie xx

    http://prettyflowersinthewindow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy smoke that looks like it was so much fun! LOVE the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A good pair of gloves is always a joy.I rather like the look of those little furry bootees- wonder if they come in size 8 extra wide?

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lovely too see you (albeit briefly) on Saturday night :) You looked lovely!

    Ooohh.. such a trove from Sunday shopping!! I am a little bit in love with those gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a great weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a super weekend Hen, they don't come much better than that. Mr HH looks very dashing in his wonderful Fair Isle jumper. Love the dresses you bought, and your coat is quite marvellous too! Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like lots of fun was had!
    So disappointed that the bee-u-ti-ful flannel quilt is not going to be making it's way to the Emporium! If you manage to amass enough fabric for Mark Two then do remember me! Kate's (Kitty's) quilt remains one of my favourite objects in my whole house! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a Great weekend you had! I used to have a stall at Hammersmith many moons ago! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hwn you looked wonderful I love the frocks you bought and on your favourite stall I need to own those little ladies heads, can you remember how much they were and what the stall holder is called, I wonder if they are still in her possession?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now that looks like a wonderful weekend Helen! You look fabulous in your vintage coat!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great post, lovely dresses.
    The problem I have with vintage is everything is so tiny, or perhaps I like cake too much :)
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hen, it looks like you had the most fabulous time!
    I so love your photos, and especially the one of Mr Henhouse at the train station, and the one of you holding your dress up! You both look wonderful!

    The dresses you bought are just so pretty too, and that green one is my favourite! :o)

    Hope you're having a happy half term week my dear :o)

    Take care Hen,
    Love Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Waht a lovely time!! I love your treats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. By chance I discovered your wonderful blog and will now be from your reader. Your red cat looks just like mine! Maybe sometimes you click with me, I'd be happy;-)
    Dear Rosalie Greetings from Dresden ∙ ∙ ♥ ♥ ∙ ∙

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Hen,

    I just popped over to wish you well for tomorrows vintage textile fair, as I was so sure you would be going for some reason!! But then as I was scrolling down I saw your little note about not attending any fairs this year :o(

    Oh well, my thoughts were with you lovely lady :o)
    Hope you're having a fabby half term.
    Take care Hen,
    Love Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such fun!!! I adore your sweetness over here...your new frocks are so darling! Enjoy...off to peek around your beautiful world a little more. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have just discovered your lovely blog, and am a new follower!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  34. How spiffy Mr HH looks! And the shoes, oh the shoes ... One of my daughters has tiny feet and loves to vintage shoes, lucky thing as they fit her!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X