Monday, 19 December 2011

Cats and Cat-sized Quilts



Brrr, isn't it cold? I've grown lots more fur for the Winter but I'm still finding it a bit chilly. In my room, my mum has been sewing nice things again. I saw this quilt the other day and thought it was the perfect size just for me, Charlie Boy.






She seemed a bit cross when she found me asleep on it and I don't know why. What else is it for? She didn't make me get off though as I did my very best to look extra cute and furry and even started purring so she left me to it until I went for dinner.


When I came back, my quilt had gone which I wasn't too chuffed about. Seems my mum had finished it and was faffing around taking lots of silly photos of it in different positions.





She says to tell you it is based on a full size quilt which she saw in Tikki Patchwork, a shop which she loves to visit apparently. This quilt is perfect for a kitty, you know, at just 17.5" square. It was my mum's first go at applique on a quilt. She hasn't given me my quilt back and even worse, she keeps it in this wooden chest! (She came back with it one day from Northcote Road and was "thrilled with its original paint finish" whatever that means.)






With a silly old rabbit! There are lots of other quilts in there too. She thinks she forgot to show you this little log cabin one she made. She says the pattern is in Kathy Tracy's book "Prairie Children and their Quilts". She goes ga-ga over that lady's books.





Lots and lots of little strips, measures 12 3/4" x 17" apparently.






She made this star one, too (based on a quilt in Kathy Tracy's The Civil War Sewing Circle). It's a feline-friendly 18" square.





I can't understand why she makes all those little kitty-sized quilts then puts them in the box with the old rabbit? Never mind because my brother and I have found an even comfier spot on my mum's bed. There's not just a big quilt suitable for two kittys but an eidy too! Purrrrrrrr.






Happy Christmas from the furry friends (including Vorey, but he's off radiator-hugging).

26 comments:

  1. I like the idea of quilts for kitties......Pickle has a rather nice one that she likes to sit on! She also has a pair of over gloves which she finds almost as comfortable.....bless her!

    I loved your post today.....kitty and quilt loveliness!

    Melx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those two look like double trouble to me!
    Lovely quilty post.I feel like snuggling under one today...sniff,cough. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well my cat Dudley would love one of those quilts too, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your mini quilts and love your kitties too.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well,I think you are very lucky to have such a talented mummy who makes beautiful quilts.But can you tell me why she is called Hen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Quilts for Beautiful Cats!
    Tell your mummy I said you are beautiful and the quilts are beautiful too and she should let you choose one quilt just for yourself!
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love 'em.Top notch, sludging with style.
    Cats do love a quilt, Team Tabby will only sit on a lap with a quilt over it.Spoiled rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally I love to curl up on mummy's velvety dressing robe but she gets very cross when I knead it and start to dribble. Perhaps I should persuade her to get a quilt instead. Florence the mad cat. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely touch with the applique Hen. I am sure Gizmo would love to try one of those quilts for size too! Great picture of Charlie boy and Jackie Ginge together. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAaaww, What a pair of sweeties :o)

    And your little quilts are amazing Hen. I really love your flower applique, it's very pretty. But I think my favourite one (am I allowed a favourite? lol) out of these has got to be the the little log cabin one from the 'Prairie children and their Quilts' book. It's stunning, and must have taken an age to make!
    I really love your pure wood chest too! That was a fabulous find :o)
    Have a great 'week before' Christmas Hen.
    Take care lovely lady.
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wondered where Vorey was. They do look lovely those cats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your mini quilts, such lovely colours.
    Your two furry boys look so cosy together. My Otto and Sammy both love to snuggle up on my Christmas quilt when they get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah what beautiful boys! Happy Christmas pussy cats :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilts, beautiful cats.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cat looks how I feel in the first picture! :-)

    I am very impressed by all your quilts, please pass on some of your magical talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your patch-workery always leaves me smiling and amazed :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilts and beautiful cats!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilts you sell will be more valuable if they have the "Charlie Seal of Approval"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilts are just beeeYOOOOteeeeFULLLL! Love the kitters. I posted about my handmade snowmen.. you might like them as I made them with fabric. I hope you have a lovely calm week before the big day.
    :¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    :¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:-·-:¦:
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post Hen! Things are very similar in our house. I'm sure our cat Hectic can sniff out wadding wherever she happens to be!
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a clever cat you are being able to write such a lovely post about your mummy. I would have loved to see your furry little paws on the keyboard. Your mummy is well clever specially love the log cabin one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aah, cats and quilts, such a lovely combination. And haven't you been busy again!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful mini quilts. I feel quite inspired, or maybe the gorgeous cat has me going. Isn't it funny how our furry feline friends need to nestle in newly made items.
    Have a very Merry Christmas and keep showing your beautiful quilts and cats, a fantastic read in this busy time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are just the cutest kitties.

    Blessings gail

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant! These cats have a good life in fabric-filled houses don't they? My 2 seem to know when a freshly ironed pile of 30's floral gems get put in a tidy stack.... Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Hen, what lovely cats ... looking very tucked up for the winter. Must post a pic of my boy Leo. we've been teasing him that he now has his winter drawers on (big bum!!)
    Happy Christmas.
    Love Lesley XX

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X