Monday, 14 November 2011

Drink up thy Zyder!





I think it's time to embrace Autumn, readers (you mean you have already?) and what could be better to mark this season than a trip to the cider farm. Off we go deep into the heart of smiling Somerset whereupon we stumble on a scene from years past.





In our opinion, there's no finer brew than the cider produced at Burrow Hill. Tucked away along a country lane, we stumbled upon The Somerset Distillery years ago, entirely by accident. We were entranced by the place and we return errm, quite frequently.






This area of South Somerset is notable for its fields of apple orchards stretching into the distance. Sheep graze under the old apple trees, there's even the odd snorting pig snaffling up the windfalls (it's true!) and there's an abundance of wild birds.






This cider farm is a ramshackle old place, and I say that in the very best sense of the word. Peace pervades, the air is filled with the scent of apples in the yard waiting to be turned into a delicious brew and if you've just £6 or so, you can walk away with a 4 litre container of the best cider you'll ever have tasted.






This place is also known for producing the popular "Somerset Cider Brandy" (an English version of Calvados) and they also make various aperitifs and juices. In the yard, there are various displays of old stills and cider making equipment.











I think this would be a great place to photograph some sludgey quilts!







At certain times of the year, you can take a guided walk through the orchards to view the blossom or the apples and hear the owner, Julian Temperley (father of fashion designer Alice and quite a character), tell you everything you could ever wish to know about cider apple varieities and cider making. I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it!









Harvest time, around October, is the most exciting time to visit. The amount of apples piled up in the yard and waiting in tractors to be pressed is quite jaw dropping. The scent in the air is rather heady.









Don't they look delightful?






On with the job then. The apples process along a channel in the yard's floor and are washed on the way. They then pass through various stages, pressing the apples, extracting the juice, disposing of the pulp and so on.


















Hmm, that doesn't look so nice!


Finally, in the depths of the barn where the air is very cool, the cider rests in enormous vats.






Until we come along, that is! You can have your containers filled up from the oak casks, requesting dry, medium or sweet (and having a taster, of course).











In addition, there is a range of bottled ciders and juices which have a longer shelf life (we find the fresh cider lasts about two weeks in the fridge, if we haven't drunk it all by then!) I often buy these and put some in the hampers I make up as gifts at Christmas. You can also buy cider brandy truffles, cider vinegar crisps and apple chutney and recipes are available for interesting cocktails to make using the farm's cider and spirits.






Oh dear, it was really too early in the day for writing this post! Apple juice it is then...





P.S. To those of you very kind people who took the time to wish me "happy birthday", very many thanks, your thoughtfulness was very much appreciated.

22 comments:

  1. Fresh pressed cider....mmmm....that farm looks exceedingly tempting. Proper cider is delicious-and lethally intoxicating.
    Caught myself buying two fat quarters of sludge last week in Bath, but also got some fabulously colourful spotty fabric, so not completely lost in sludge,yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat. I loved reading this post. Enjoy your cider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic place. You're right, it would make a good backdrop for some autumny quilts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW. MANY. APPLES??? I don't think I have EVER seen apples like that before! Grain - yes. Apples - no!

    I love the traditional way they appear to make this - I bet it tastes delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost smell this post! Lovely. Belated birthday wishes to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think we're going to have to seek the place out too..........
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous place, just like something from 'The Darling Buds of May'. A belated Happy Birthday Hen. See you at the V&H in a couple of weeks.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated Birthday wishes! This is a wonderful post Hen and relevent to me at the moment as I am going to be involved in setting up a community orchard. I think I will steer them towards apple varieties suitable for cider making! I agree that it would be the perfect place for photographing some sludgey quilts or even your non sludgey quilts! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful apples .. lovely day to be had countryside. thankful for autumn, i am. :o)

    belated hAppy bIrthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post!!!! And fantastic pics...I can almost smell the apples xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a post :) I love the pic of the mountain of apples - can only imagine what the air near that smelt like :)

    We've done a Somerset cider factory tour in the past (different one) - as the non-driver it was my job to do the tasting *hic*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't the buildings beautiful too? I know about Julian from his fight with the EU to be able to call his distilled spirit 'Cider Brandy' - he won too. Have you seen his two Stills? Very old and, I think, French.

    You obviously had a lovely day Hen. I'm sorry that I didn't greet you on your birthday, I made a comment at the time but it has disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that's amazing! I have never seen so much apples at one place before. What a beautiful place. Kindest regards Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  14. jolies pommes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those apples look gorgeous in a great big pile!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How totally fun for you to share with us this wonderful place! I so wish I could visit there and buy some of their products. Yummy!! I hope you had a wonderful birthday! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow....lots of apples Hen.....we have a local group called the Moss Ciders, who scrump and press....they are getting quite well known....but nothing like on the scale of this.....amazing!

    Did you have a lovely birthday?

    Melx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow- what a huge pile of apples. I'm glad they don't have to worry about bruises. I wish I had been there to smell the fruity aromas. I hope you got thoroughly spoiled for your birthday. I bed the Munchkin made a lovely card for you. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Hen, this is a marvelous post. Your photos and commentary really allows us to visit the farm with you all. I could almost, almost catch the scent of all those apples.

    I can definitely appreciate why you'd want to return over and over.

    May I wish you a very Happy Belated Birthday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks like a lovely place to visit! Sometimes I think I might be made of apples coming from Somerset...and all my ancestors too! ;o)
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh what a marvellous set up!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X