Monday, 22 August 2011

More Hanky Panky!

Last week, my mum and dad came to stay which was rather lovely, especially as my mum came armed with pretty, vintage-y goodies which she'd been stockpiling for me. One was this fabulous bakelite beehive. Most of you probably know that this is a knitting needle gauge. I've wanted one of these for ages, not because I can knit(!), just because I love them, so I was very chuffed. There's no-one like your mum, is there? I've seen them in gorgeous pink and green colours too, so now she has a further mission.







Now, did any eagle-eyed readers spot what was behind the little beehive vignette? Do you remember this rather fetching number, the quilt I started at the cottage using the vintage-style handkerchief panels combined with lots of log cabin piecing?






It has actually been finished a while but I'm just finding the opportunity to show it to you. Ta-dahhh!!!






The hanky panels are utterly divine, I think.






I could spend some time debating my favourite but I doubt I'd get it down to just one!






With the co-ordinating range of cute ditsy-flowered fabrics, I made log cabin squares and as the panels are set on point, I even ended up log-cabin-ing the side and corner setting triangles. No more log cabins for me for a while!






I backed the quilt with scrumptiously cosy pink cotton flannelette and quilted the panels a quarter of an inch either side of the seam lines using a pretty pink variegated thread. I confess that I parked the quilt for a good week while I pondered the binding (and started something else!) The main quilt has such a lot going on I didn't want to add another busy floral, my usual polka dot looked just wrong and I didn't want a solid because I wanted the binding to look pretty against the solid pink backing. In the end, I went for this pale blue gingham which I cut on the bias so that the lines form an attractive criss-cross pattern. A bit more work than cutting on the straight of grain as one would normally but I like it very much. A pretty vintage embroidered label was the finishing touch.





Ah, pretty quilt, quite quite special but wave it a fond farewell I shall. It won't be adding to the toppling piles of quilts I have reserved greedily for myself but is currently in my blogshop waiting a new home. I will get lots of pleasure seeing this beauty go off to pastures new to be cosied up and become part of a new family's memories.






I can't help thinking a certain ginger furry friend would get quite excited at the sight of it so I had better spirit it away somewhere safe. Don't go feeling sorry for Charlie-Boy though, this week he has added a patchwork Cath K mini-cushion as a pillow to his bedding!






It's a hard life! The Hanky Panky Quilt can be found here.

18 comments:

  1. Hello. I love the quilt that you made. It is so charming and well done. Over the years I have collected many vintage hankies myself (most of them with pink roses), and just don't know what to do with them. This would be a wonderful idea for me, only if I could sew. Love your blog. I just found it recently. Take care, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, its so beautiful! Love the co-ordinating fabrics mixed with the handkies! Perfect!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks as beautiful as I thought it would when you first showed it here, if not more so! The colours are just beautiful, and I love the combination of the hankies and the log cabin panels. I'm sure it will fly out of your shop!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A breathtakingly beautiful quilt, Hen. It would be difficult to give that one up. Your Charlie-boy looks like my new kitty, Molly McButter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hen, another wonderful quilt, I'm sure it will soon be flying off to a new home. Lucky Charlie Boy, doesn't he look content on his new cushion (best close this screen before one of ours starts demanding new luxury beddding!)
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Message from the Jammers - "Charlie Boy looks very cute and we hope he enjoys his new bed"!

    Quilt looks lovely too by the way.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty quilt.
    I love the Blue Beehive I have a Green one!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It certainly turned out beautiful, well done. As a child, our blue beehive was my mother's constant companion though hers was not a gauge but was used to keep the wool in with the thread through the top. I think it was to keep the wool clean since most of us lived in coal-fired houses in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello hello Hen - here you are again creating beautiful quilts that would take me a lifetime! Hanky Panky is such a perfect descriptive name. I wish I had gone to the festival of quilts, looks amazing, maybe next year.....

    As for my creative outpouring, it's going to be a wall hanging and needs lots of work as I am so ham-fisted! I will show you when it's done, which may be a while! Tee hee,

    Love Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt- that gingham border is perfect.In my youth, when I had more patience,I made a pair of curtains and a quilt in log cabin,which is a very handy patching design: used up all my dressmaking scraps and made my bedroom look great, but I was seriously log-cabinned-out by the end of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful , unique quilt! It's lovely, well done. :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hen, I first want to compliment you on that post about you and your sister's visit to the quilt show. I know that I would really love to have been there myself, but actually think that your post has really taken me there. xo

    And, yesterday being a day off for me, I went to my neighborhood Barnes & Nobles' shop's excellent international newsstand, looking for that BBC Antiques mag with the article featuring your beautiful cottage and your marvelous creative energy. I saw the magazine, and found it really great. The photo of you on the sofa "working" for the photographer, of course, on the hex patchwork is a beauty.

    Years ago, when I thought my dream of moving to the UK might come true, I assembled a huge collection of this magazine's issues. It is a delight to see an article about someone whom I do think I know a bit.

    Bravo to you. That initial photo of Munchkin is priceless. Please give that lad a hug from across the pond.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another gorgeous creation- I know how hard it is to part with them! I'll be on the look out for a collection of vintage hankies now. The log cabin blocks look just perfect with the hanky panels. I've never seen a beehive knitting gauge before and I'm dying to see inside. I think Cath K should create a ginger cat fabric! Mr Ginger Jasper would be very pleased indeed, and I suspect that Charlie Boy would be of the same opinion. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilt. I adore it. Hope I can do something like this one day. I am an absolute beginner.
    But I have a question. What do you use the beehive for. Is it as Toffeeapple described or different? I've never seen such a thing before.
    Greetings from Germany
    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I wish I could quilt, wish I had patience. It is so beautiful and I didn't know you could get such pretty needle gauges. I bought recently a load of vintage knitting needles, and need a gauge as most don't have a size on them. I am now on a mission to find a pretty one like yours.. any suggestions as to the best place to look, other than Ebay?
    Maggie - mrsrunofthemills.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could we forget the lovely!

    I'm sure it will be snapped up, If I werent a quilter myself I would be tempted!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. aawww another beautiful quilt. I adore the idea of the hankie panels what a great idea and they work so well. I agree there is no one like your mum. Have a lovely week, dee x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X