Friday, 29 July 2011

A Pleasant Day's "Work"




My latest bestest friend, Rabbity, (purchased at the Country Living Fair), is bemused by the Den.


Quite frankly, there's old embroidered stuff everywhere! Rather a lot, mostly chopped into or awaiting the same, is on this bamboo rack which used to be in the ultra chic bathroom in my single-girl pad way back when. How times change!






Yet more lives on a thrifty car-boot-bought towel rail. Most items are on here because they fall into one or more of the following Hen's Den vintage embroidered categories: they're larger cloths; they're beautifully worked; they're in good condition. As such, they're keepers I won't be cutting into.






The other day when I was searching for something in my Den, I discovered my stash of embroidered tea cosies in a basket under piles of large pieces of fabric, presumably now too large to be housed with the toppling piles on the towel rails. Today, with a few luxurious hours ahead of me waiting supplies for other projects and with the Munchy at his drama club, it was time to get patching.





Of all the things I make and create, chop and sew, this sort of thing I was indulging in today is my most favourite. Before long, I had a pretty little pile. Oooh exciting!





I decided a 4" square would be best. I used flourescent quilters' tape to mark out the size on my 6.5" square ruler. This makes it much easier when you have a lot of patches to cut. You can see through the ruler enabling you to fussy cut your fabric. Oooh, I do like a spot of fussy cutting (if it's not too wasteful). I keep all the leftover bits of linen and use them to embroider words for brooches, notebooks, dolls' clothes and the like.






To pair with the yummy embroidered squares, I turned to The Stash.






Most specifically, the bestest bit, my vintage stash. I decided on a colour scheme of mainly pink and blue, with touches of green.






Much pleasurable patching later, my creation is starting to take shape. I decided to hand quilt, as the two pieces I've patchworked for this project are relatively small.






But oh my little fingers are bearing the scars already! It could be a while (well a few days) until this one is finished...

28 comments:

  1. My goodness that is a stash to be proud of! Drooling with envy!!! I do love what you are making and cannot wait to see the finished item! Beautiful. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an enviable stash of fabrics and the start of a lovely patchworked piece! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right.........can I move in with you. Your stash is wonderful. The quilt is looking good too. can't wait to see it finished.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. O-M-G-!! Look, I mean LOOK at that stash!! As Scarlett O'Hara would say I am pea GREEN with envy!!!!!!

    Really looking forward to seeing the FO!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, now that really is the most wonderful stash, I could only ever dream of a collection like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth dropped open at the size of it!?! LLX

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing stash you have and all neatly kept too! Its great when you get onto a creative roll isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! I would love your stash it all looks beautiful.Love Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have to comment on that fabulous stash ! I like the neat squares on your latest creation very pleasing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness Hen, that is an impressive bit of stash! The fluorescent tape idea is a real good 'un, I shall be using that tip,thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful pieces of embroidery you have!
    Just gorgeous!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stash is divine, I almost feel as though it is an alter.. although you probably shouldn't light candles there, cotton is a bit flammable. I always feel as though I have had a little feast whenever I come over to your blog. Lots of love, Kate xxooxxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hen, besides loving all those vintage fabrics you've got stored in your den, I also really like the way that you share your tips about the technical parts of quilting. It's really lovely of you to take us right into your workshop, right down to the cutting of the squares, or whatever shapes might be needed.

    Hand quilting is really a precious art, and well worth keeping alive. Hoping your fingers have some time off this weekend to mend. It's amazing how resilient our active body parts can be.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh to spend a few hours in your den! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I thought I had a lot of stuff!! I feel better about it after seeing yours!!!
    I do love what you do with the old embroideries. I have a few pieces but have yet to pluck up the courage to cut into them. I also have some feedsacks with labels. I am reluctant to cut into them too!!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow stash envy - not only because it is vast and georgous but it is so NEAT. My (small by comparison) is scattered hither and dither (we love this phrase in our house and use it as much as we can). The quilt is georgous. How do you get on with the leather thimble? I cant seem to find the correct one for me and now have quite a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in love with your quilt already! you have so many beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I have stash envy!!!! Your fabrics are glorious and I could gaze at that photo all day! I love your embroidery/patchwork project and I'm slowly getting the courage to cut into my old stitched linens. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  19. everytime i see those fabulous vintage fabrics it takes me back to my childhood with my gran where they were in abundance. wonderful with the embroidery x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you could open a shop with that pretty lot!!
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. I love your love of patching. And your gay abandon of cutting into vintage cosies to make something so beautiful and unusual. I would trash something like that and then weep.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How DO you keep your fabric stash so tidy??? I only have to pull a piece of fabric from my stash and it all comes tumbling down!
    I love vintage embroidery too and use it in my items a lot. I think it is a lovely way to show off someone else's handiwork within your own, rather like re-generating it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that, and a great way to use embroidered tablecloths that have holes or stains.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wish I had found your blog before I had a clean out & donated all my embroidered pieces back to the Op-shop.....:(

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your patchwork projects and I nearly cannot wait to see your new finished lovely items!
    What an amazing stash! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my what an incredible stash, you could open that to the public!

    This is probably a very stupid question but I've never seen a square ruler before (and I only have scissors for cutting). Is the tape just so you can line up for your fussy cutting? Do you cut two sides then turn it round?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Two Bones & a Bagel - the leather thimble is pretty good though does slip off now and then. It was from The Cotton Patch and pretty cheap. My sister swears by a leather Clover brand thimble.
    Little Blue Mouse - of course it's not a silly question. Invest in a rotary cutter if you can and a mat and ruler. I use this square one a lot and you are absolutely right, cut two sides and turn your ruler round to cut the remaining two. Being accurate makes so much difference to your patchwork, it's so much easier when you come to sew everything together and the patches are the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hen, I keep coming back to this lovely post. Your fabrics look so BEAUTIFUL in the cupboard and your quilt is going to be quite exquisite.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X