Monday, 25 July 2011

Hanky Panky

There's an attention grabbing title for you! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.






So what feels like waaay back, last week in fact at the cottage, I started a new quilt. Oh happy days, it's that delicious giddy feeling of being free of other projects and feeling without guilt that you can start something new. The dining room was about to become my country Den.






I've had in my stash for ages, this range of fabrics by Wyndham called "The Hankie Club". It consists of a printed panel and many co-ordinating prints.






I've long loved vintage hankies, their designs are absolutely gorgeous and I have quite a collection of the real thing. Joy then when Wyndham brought out this range. The printed panel consisted of 12 square hanky designs on one large sheet (I'd guess about 44" wide but about 1.5/2 yards long), to be cut out individually. Rather lovely they are too.











I also indulged in a selection of the ditsy floral prints. Too cute!







I've been pondering for ages what to do with the hanky squares and fabric and how to turn them into a quilt. This book is extremely useful. It doesn't contain actual quilt patterns (directions and measurements how to make them) but shows you how to combine blocks and how to lay them out to create different designs. Really gets you thinking about all the possibilities.






With all those pretty fabrics at my fingertips, I settled on making traditional log cabin blocks to intersperse with the hanky squares. I did a little rudimentary maths to come up with the required strip widths to end up with the desired finished block size.







Making the 10.5" log cabin blocks was rather pleasurable and I had ten blocks made in no time. I love it when you have enough blocks to start laying them out to get a feel for the quilt.







Now I decided for this quilt to set the blocks on point (so they look like a diamond, albeit a square one). This means that you need to cut what are called setting triangles to fill in down the sides (and corner triangles too). I sadly discovered that the fabric I had left was not big enough to cut the large squares that are then cross-cut for the triangles. I decided to make more log cabin blocks, this time over 16" so they became quite time consuming (read: knackering).






So no sooner had I laboured to make these perfectly square log cabin blocks, than I did this to them. Eeek!






The furniture shifted out of the way, the sitting room became my makeshift "design floor". So exciting, laying all the blocks out!






At this point, I realised my two days of rest had been rather shattering so I packed all the blocks away and here they sit now in my Den, waiting the next stage.






Oh if only all the washing, ironing and food shopping and stuff didn't get in the way. Very irritating, don't you find!

41 comments:

  1. its wonderful- all that hanky panky was worth it hehe ;0)x love your cottage retreat- what a gem of a place ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hen
    Wow those hanky panels are great and the quilt is going to be beautiful!
    Having trouble commenting on your blog - seems Explorer doesn't like me and have to log on with Firefox - oh the peculiarities of the internet! Anyway, I was going to leave you a comment on your last post to say your hair looks stunning and I love the colour of that dress you're wearing. there, all rolled into one comment now. Thank you Mr Firefox for letting me in.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks stunning. I feel quite worn out just thinking about putting all those blocks together!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hankie design fabric and the quilt is going to look gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a superb result though! The hard work of those log cabins has certainly paid off big time!
    I simply love the big hanky square with the rose bouquet and ribbon on the right of you last photo - lovely!
    I don't seem to be able to leave a comment using my blogger ID today again, but you can reply via my blog:
    http://yummylavender.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I your cottage den! You have such patience for all your lovely quilts. But I do fully agree that there is always too much other 'stuff' that really gets in the way of being creative! I often wish I'd wake in the morning to find the housework fairy has been busy ironing and shopping with our cupboards and fridge full with lots of nice goodies!
    Ali
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hen

    The Hankie Club designs are gorgeous! I love what you have done with the fabric, beautiful quilt. It is a lovely feeling when you can move on to another project knowing that you have completed another. I look forward to having that feeling again, at the moment I am doing so many things at once!
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I'm a bit of a newcomer to your blog and I love it! The colours are mesmerising! You are a better woman than me, that fabric is delicious but if it were mine I know it would be stuck in a cupboard and taken out and drooled over every now and then. You make it look so easy!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful. Cannot wait to see the quilt come together. I love those fabrics. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love the colours - it is going to be beautiful. M x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adore the Wyndham fabric! Looks like another fabulous quilt! Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, another beauty hen...have just finished my first and i am officially addicted i think.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg Hen this is your best yet!!

    Absolutely adore the hanky fabric.

    Is that an embroidered map of the BritishIsles?
    My Mum has one that my Grandma made, I must ask her if I can have it!!

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab....you put me to shame...I am still faffing with my blanket, ummm think it's been about 3 months now!!!
    I am completely head over heels in love with your blue floral curtains.....
    Nattie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh WOW its gorgeous - love the colours
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to be a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, love it! I have been collection Hankies for a while with a view to doing something crafty with them, just don't quite know what yet! I have to make friends with my sewing machine first!

    Your posts are always so yummy!

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! Is that ever wonderful! I'm a frustrated quilter. They never turn out right for me. So I have to content myself with enjoying others. And yours are the very best! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!!!!!!!!!! What a job you have done!! This is going to be a really gorgeous quilt..and about the table cloth???? Where did you find that lovely tablecloth??? under the wonderful quilt pieces???? I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am mesmerised by this quilt. I cannot wait to see it hanging out on your washing line!

    I am also besotted with the stitched map of the UK i spied on the wall in the 2nd pic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty. i love the colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my, how lovely! Your fabric choices make me green with envy that my stash doesn't contain the same.

    As for the washing, ironing, shopping and such....I'd give my right arm if that was all that was keeping me from the sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  23. SEi bravissima....è un piacere stare a guardare le tue creazioni.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. So very pretty! It's going to look fab when it's finished (it already does!) Have fun with the rest of the project!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know exactly what you mean about 'stuff'! I just yearn to spend my days knitting and sewing, and instead spent all Saturday ironing B&B bedding and washing floors - oh to be a lady of leisure . . . The fabric colours are beautiful - I really love that muted bygone effect.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love, love, love this quilt, the fabrics are wonderful.
    Can't wait to see the finished piece.
    Well done
    take care
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think that is my favourite of all your quilts. Scrummy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I cant wait to see the finished article Hen it looks so pretty. I have a thing for vintage hankies too and love to make lavender bags from them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm with the other ladies, I love this one a LOT! Will you be selling it in your online shop? Teresa from Oregon USA.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How effective it is. It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW i love this design actually my friend only mentioned this design the other evening at our bitch and stitch group. I love the vintage hankies what a great idea your quilt is going to look so pretty, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is absolutely gorgeous!

    I love your foxglove tea service.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a gorgeous post! Such pretty fabric choices too!
    The quilt is going to be a real beauty!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks really excellent- Wyndham do some super fabric ranges.It is indeed so annoying one has to do the every day stuff when one is busy doing way more interesting and creative things!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely, you did such a lot of work, can't wait to see the finished quilt.
    Yes, it is annoying when 'life' gets in the way of crafting!
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Those hankie squares are gorgeous. Please Hen, tell me you ARE NOT going to sell that beautiful piece of work. This one must be for you as a reward for all the pretty pieces you make and all the hard work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW! That looks amazing :) I love the hanky fabric, beautiful. I love hankies & have rather too many!! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is absolutely beautiful perhaps my favourite so far :) x

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG, I'm in agreement with everyone else - truly stunning and def one of my favourites!! You are such a clever lady!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous hen! I love it! I bought that panel too, but none of the coordinates, that I remember. I wish I could say I've experienced the feeling of finishing everything else to start something new, but alas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm not a quilter (maybe, in another life), but I am a hankie collector. Your creations are lovely. All the colors and patterns make me swoon!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X