Thursday, 21 July 2011

Beauty

Hello dear readers, hope this post finds you all tickety boo. We're back from the West Country though it was quite a wrench to leave, especially as we left in radiant sunshine and arrived back in London to grey rain! I was thrilled to find that "The Dahlia Man" near the cottage has once again started putting out his display of amazing blooms and honesty box so I was able to purchase these amazing flowers for a mere £2. Ah, I have enjoyed this view over the last week, another thing it was hard to leave.






Maybe it's just been too long since we've had a decent break away from town life but it really struck me how peaceful it is in the country, very little traffic, no noisy neighbours and I'd lie in bed marvelling at the silence, just the bird song to keep me company. Some blue tits were coming right under the thatch near the window, pecking away looking for insects. It's a view from my bed in the country about which I certainly can't complain.






Ah yes, that bed, there's nothing like your own bed is there?






In the bedroom, I have this little beauty corner. I've collected the few bits of antique crystal and silver from fairs and collectables shops over the years, the lampshade is beautiful if fragile and was bought from a car boot sale for 5p! The mirror and chest also came from antique shops (I coveted one of these mirrors for years). My mum found me the vintage embroidered runner which is really lovely, she has a knack for hunting out these things. I find plenty of vintage embroidered cloths (think I've come home with about ten this time), but it's not easy to find them on coloured backgrounds.






What I really wanted to show you are these stunning 1940's cosmetics, a box of face powder and a tube of cold cream (both still full!) I bought these from Lizzie a while back at Shepton Mallett and I really love them, there's nothing like this old packaging and they're in amazing condition. I recently saw a divine 1940's toiletry set on the www but it was pretty expensive. Still, these things are becoming rarer all the time and I confess I am still tempted!






Anyway, I've digressed a bit there as what I really want to talk about is this (which is what I was meant to be photographing in the bedroom!)






You may remember the blog post (I'm afraid I can't remember what date it was, though) where we picked this chair out of a skip at an auctioneers. It was looking very sorry for itself with wet soggy, ripped upholstery.


In April, it was time for a makeover. (It's taken me this long to get a reasonably sunny day this last week and take the final "ta dah" photos.) I wouldn't like to pretend I know much about upholstery or that this is a perfect job but as a free chair, I think we've made the most of it.






Off came all the old coverings, a thorough wash down ensued and then a strong hessian sack was stapled over the base springs. I then used a piece of newspaper to make a pattern of the seat.






Some thick foam went on top of the sack which was then wrapped in some leftover quilt batting to smooth the corners. Then it started to get really exciting!






I was let loose with my favourite colours of pink and green and raided my stash of both modern and vintage fabrics to make a patchwork. I loved it at this stage such that I didn't really then want to cut it up!







(Looking stylish in my work clothes of old stretchy trousers and Crocs!)


But chop the patchwork we did and a staple gun later, some vintage braid (found cheaply in a charity shop) and a glue gun et voila.






Ted is happy with his free chair!




40 comments:

  1. that is soooo pretty, I am sitting on my chair that desperatly needs attention and wondering when I will ever get round to doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty - lovely colours
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hen,your cottage is so cosy,I'd love to own a cottage like yours one day.The chair looks fab and well at home in your bedroom,lucky ted!xxxxx
    p.s any luck with a stamp on the toadstools?juliexxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are so beautiful. I love every one of them. I love the little window with the rose printed curtains. So enchanting. Your chair looks lovely! What a wonderful make over you did! Thank you so much for sharing, your photos made smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Utterly beautiful, what a great job you've done on your chair....very jealous!!
    I love the west Country, we live in Somerset, have been here over 15 years now, and there's nothing quite like it.
    Nattie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful indeed, Hen! I have a chair whose seat needs reupholstering...patchwork is a sweet way to give it new life. Are those about 4 inch squares you used on your chair?

    Erin
    carolinacountryliving@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. auctioneer's skips are always a joy to behold aren't they!

    Sitting in the "silence" of the countryside here, with young buzzards screeching annoyance at being ignored by their weary parents, tractor rolling the field next door, farmer shooting rabbits across the way and jackdaws having a riot cos someone trespassed in the wrong nest...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new patchwork seat! Teddy looks very fine on his new old chair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely chair! There is something so fresh yet old fashioned about pink and green isn't there?
    In our old house it would have looked perfect in my youngest Jammer's bedroom where she had pale green walls and old pink paisley eiderdown covers as curtains!
    Best wishes
    Ellie
    x
    PS my spring fling bag was admired again today!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pictures of old cosmetics. And the mirror stand is gorgeous. I have a small box with bath salts in it from 1930's. Very pretty box with small wooden shovel to ladle out the bath salts. They still have a scent too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the makeover. Lovely photos from the cottage too.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't understand how much I love your blog! It's so inspiring & gorgeous, thank you. C x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its so wonderful here. I enlarged the picture to look closer at the dahlias, (stunning) and then saw the little book. 'Lets get out here'
    meaning the country? What a find!
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful bedroom - the patchwork is lovely!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your bedroom at the cottage. It looks just as a cottage bedroom should look like, cosy and so very pretty! Lovely chair transformation.
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't know which is more adorable...the chair...or Ted!
    Love all you collections,your patchwork cushions,quilts and eidy's.Everything always looks so pretty in a cottage setting. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your country cottage is a dream to behold for this American who descends from a King of England but whose never been to England. I love all things English. Thanks for sharing this with me and your evocative descriptions make me feel as if I was there. Thank you.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks fantastic, lucky ted !!
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fab chair!! Love the patchwork seat!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful cottage, great chair, how lucky is Teddy!
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you know I'm begining to love patchwork after seeing all the lovely ones you put together!! I'm sure Mr Ted think's he's the king of the castle sat on that chair, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos of the cottage Helen! Love what you've done to the chair,you really have an eye for turning something into a beauty
    Rachel x!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing, you are so inspiring.
    Hugs
    Kim
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi you always post lovley things,I always love to see your pics and read what you have been doing thank you for sharing and inspiring me.Your bedroom looks so pretty and inviting.Lots of love Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have to say your cottage is beautiful, your white bedroom walls look so thick and like a huge blanket that close in and cuddles you. And your bed is well i don't think i would ever want to get out it looks so cosy. I adore all your patch work and the chair is smashing, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cottage looks lovely, and I love the fabrics you've used on the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The chair looks great, I keep hoping I'll find one some day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. The chair looks great! Lovely to see you at Le Flea, glad the Lilac cosmetics have found a happy home! Lizzie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love posts about 'make-overs' like this, especially if the furniture was free in the first place! You've made a wonderful job of that seat, Hen, and Ted looks very contented indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love to see things that otherwise would have been thrown away, made into lovely new things! :)) You must be thrilled with the results!xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your cottage Hen. The patchwork on the newly upholstered seat is wonderful. Thank you so much for the tag suggestions. I had thought of doing fruit tags too. Maybe I will have a go at some giant strawberries! Have a lovely weekend.x

    ReplyDelete
  32. As i finally got round to buying one of my fave magazines today (The broken foot has stopped me doing lots) I was delighted to see your gorgeous family and cottage in it. This has to be one of the best issues. I love the vintage theme and i can't wait to collect all the botanical prints to put into my new home. Infact i will be taking some inspiration from your cottage to go in my new home too - i love the look, although i don't think i'll be able to have the complete look as my hubbie won't approve (That what is so nice about having 2 homes you lucky thing).
    I have to say how lovely i think your family is, i love your views and i love how you bring your son up. After having the pleasure of meeting you at the chipping sodbury fayre once i found him to be very polite.
    Much love LissyLou x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the chair - what an amazing transformation! And I love your photos of your bedroom at the cottage too - it's so pretty and peaceful and cosy looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love everything about this post, everything is beautiful!!!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Brilliant! Such a fantastic find and you have made it a thing of beauty! I love your cottage xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lucky lucky Ted having a chair like that to sit on! So glad you had such a lovely time in the cottage, it such a pretty, vintage Haven, you are a great inspiration for some thrifty upcycling Hen.
    Hope you are having a lovely weekend, I have been distracted all afternoon by a group of swallows who have been dive bombing and swooping low across the top field, so captivating..... hmm, back to the hoovering S-J!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X