Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Are You Sure?

Well readers, might I say thank you for your very positive response to the Hanky Panky quilt I showed you (in progress) in my last post. I'm glad so many of you really seem to like it. It's an unusual fabric range, sort of wish I'd bought more now!





But you know how it is, so many fabrics, so little time! Some of you even professed that the Hanky Panky is your most favourite quilt of all those I've made so far (currently totalling 40ish, to allow for WIPs). Wowee!






Then I realised that I'd failed to show you one of the contenders, finished a few weeks ago. How could you be sure Hanky Panky was your favourite if you hadn't seen this one?






Completely different in style, with this quilt I finally made a quilt which falls into my favourite category: "a 1930's style quilt using bright fabrics of the period (repro) with lots of white". I always admire these but I never put much white in my quilts. Who knows why? So I attacked my (ahem) quite extensive stash of 1930's reproduction cottons and set about making this quilt. The block is simple enough although it wasn't until I'd merrily made 120 of them and came to piece the top together that I realised the real skill lay in the accuracy, getting all those points which stand out so well against the white (t'riffic), to join nicely together.







I made the quilt larger than the one in the book as I wanted it to be big enough to go on our bed. Behold, the un-named-is-it-a-contender? quilt!





The pattern came from this book. I LOVE this book! Most of the designs in it are actually executed in not-so-pretty (in my opinion) fabrics but the designs are really different (without looking too hard to execute) and I knew as soon as I saw the book, that I'd actually want to make them (rather than just being "inspired" by the book which is more my usual thing). As you can see, the design of the quilt I made is on the front cover, it's my favourite. The book suggests using 2.5" strips of fabric (jelly rolls if you must), but I just cut my own from my stash.






The back is also a beauty, I think. I snapped up some Cath K fabric with pretty rosebuds on it in the John Lewis sale for half price (why oh why did I not buy more?) and in order to make the backing wide enough, pieced in a strip of 1930's repro fabric squares. The quilt has my fave 70/30 cotton blend batting and plain 1930's style green binding. The quilting (in the ditch) simply followed the outline of the coloured "flowers".









So what do you think then? Is it a contender?






Someone seems to think so!






(This photo above shows the true pretty colours of this quilt better than the others. Such unco-operative weather today, tut-tut.)


Personally, I prefer it to the Hanky Panky Quilt but am unconvinced that it eclipses the Spangled Spiderweb Quilt (so precious it hangs on the wall with strict instructions that it is not to be used!)






This quilt, we are enjoying for ourselves for once. In the book, it is called "The Picnic Quilt" but I have already made one of my own design called that, and as this isn't to be used for picnics, I need a different name. For now, it's in my quilts list in my sidebar as "30s Flowers Quilt" but if you have a better idea, do feel free to share!

33 comments:

  1. another beautiful quilt. It is wonderful!
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a bit harsh to make us choose - I like them all really! But there is something a bit nostalgic about the Hanky quilt for me, because of that wonderful fabric - but I do like the white diamonds above (could that be a name?) and do rather fancy a picnic sitting on that. Although I think I would feel that it was too nice to sit on, and sit on the grass instead!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful quilt ... I dont know how you do it! The hanky panky is still my fave though - I just love all the muted bluey pinkiness. M x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is very nice,,,but Hanky Panky still wins.
    Take care
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Hen, every time a new quilt is shown on here I swoon at your fabric choices, then have an attack of guilt as I peep over looking at my sewing basket...fabrics all half sewn......sigh.....
    Nattie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think "floral Links" would suit. Such a pretty quilt, as they all are, there is just something about so scrummy about the hanky panky one! Dev aka fairyglade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hrrmph, far too many lovely quilts Helen, how could we possibly choose just one? Today I like your 30's Flower one (I like Pomona's "White Diamonds" as a name for it) and your Hanky Panky one...... tomorrow? Perhaps two others, I do know I appreciate you sharing your creations.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hen, the Hanky Quilt is charming, but ... this one is the Winner in my humble opinion. Bravo to you on getting all those points aligned so well!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of a picnic quilt but is it possible to buy the waterproof backing? I would not want grass stains or mud after all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fabrics with the white! Looks very pretty next to your ripple pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh decisions, decisions!

    No sorry, I can't choose, they're both gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An extensive stash? Surely not?
    Lovely quilt- I do like the combination of plain and patterns.Very impressed with the accuracy and pointy ends, must have been a nightmare to get right! Awesome stuff as ever.As to favourite...mmmm...very hard.I do like this one very much, but the hanky one...I think it might just pip it at the post...but only just.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Hen,

    A name for the new quilt? simple, it has more white than usual and is delightful - hence the suggested name'the white delight quilt'

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really could not choose a favourite from all your wonderful quilts. I thought that The Hanky Panky quilt was gorgeous and very complex looking - I was coming on here to tell you that but found a new quilt as well! So, although I can't and won't choose an overall favourite, (there have been lots that I have coveted, so it would be impossible), I will go with you in choosing this one, The Picnic Quilt that isn't. The reason being that I think I like both the piecing pattern and fabric colours just a titchy bit more. A hard run contest though. Vorey (that is him I think, apologies if I've got the wrong name for the wrong cat) seems to endorse my choice and I'm going to go with him. Cats know a thing or two about quilts I reckon!
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  15. The name 'Hen's Jamboree' popped into my head for this quilt and I have no idea why! It is definitely a contender and very skilfully done. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that quilt too, it reminds me of spinning Pinwheels! But I still love the Hanky Panky quilt best.. it just spoke to me!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! I agree with white diamonds as someone suggested for above..

    Ali-Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a contender indeed!!
    I'm the same with quilt books, which is why I only have one, but this one looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My head spun thinking of you trying to get all those shapes pieced together in the right order. Bet this one took a lot of concentration. Shows off all those gorgeous prints with the white to perfection. Great that you're keeping it to enjoy for yourselves.

    Thanks for your thoughtful comments Hen, they were truly appreciated.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! White gives those prints such a brightness. As far as which one I like better...it's a toss for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You bad girl, making us choose? I really like this new one too. However, I'm sticking with Hanky Panky as my fave.

    It made me go to my drawer and pull out all of the very old hankies inherited from my Mom.

    I very much like the white diamonds name suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful but the hanky panky one still wins in my eyes :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd call it dancing diamonds, as the shapes look like rings of little girls playing ring-o-roses :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another lovely quilt in such soft colours, I like the Hanky Panky one but all your quilts are beautiful in their own ways.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have to say I love this one too- but Hanky Panky is still my bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I read a review for that quilt book just yesterday. When I saw the quilt on the front of the book, I said to myself, "I like that quilt...I've just seen one recently...It's on the HenHouse blog's header...I wonder what pattern it is...I just might have to ask her..." And now you've answered it! I like this quilt better than the Hanky quilt, probably because of all the white space.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it looks like Vorey's quilt so I will have to stick with the Hanky Panky one :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE this quilt!! It's so beautiful and the fabrics you have chosen are yummy!! Please make more and put them in your shop. Christmas is coming, after all..... ;)

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I saw your quilt on Flickr, and had to stop by and see your post. Your pictures are gorgeous, and I love the fabrics you used in this quilt. Thank you so much for your kind words about the book, and for sharing the pictures. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  30. One important thing the book is missing is that sleek black kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have to say that I do love this quilt - I just love the bright colours in with the white to set them off. Just beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. a gorgeous gorgeous quilt, I'm also such a huge fan of the repro 1930's fabrics. I just wish there is more choice to buy them online in the UK? I just love the white backdrop, it really makes the colours stand out.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X