Friday, 8 April 2011

Sherbet Strips


Surprisingly, I'm all packed up and ready to go, to the Fair that is! As promised, I've managed to take a few snaps of my latest quilt to share with you and for me to remember it by.






This is what is termed a "string" quilt and you probably don't need me to explain why!






The way of making this sort of quilt is a little unusual though, in that it employs a technique called "foundation piecing". Each block is sewn onto a piece of paper, just regular copy paper in my case. Starting in the middle of the block, each strip of fabric is sewn right sides facing to the next, it's then flipped over and ironed back, you then keep on adding more strips until your "foundation" is covered. Once the block is finished, you remove the paper (a yawn-worthy task if ever there was one!)





It is a very enjoyable technique though. I sat with a big basket of strips next to me, which I've accumulated over time, and picked each one as I went, deciding on the spot which colours and patterns to put next to each other. Once I had made twenty-four blocks, I arranged them in a pleasing pattern, sewed them together and hey presto, there was one pretty fine quilt top! It's a nice size, about 38" x 56", perfect for a lap quilt or throw but also big enough for the foot of the bed.






The colours and fabrics are similar to those used in my favourite Spangled Spiderweb Quilt; quite a few Kaffe Fassett designs with their fabulous patterns and luminous colours, along with plenty of 1930's reproduction cottons and any other bits 'n' bobs which I felt suited the quilt.











I have backed it with a vintage white and ditsy blue floral cotton and used a fabulous Kaffe Fassett art print for the binding which really works a treat. Wish I'd snapped up more of this before they discontinued it. The quilt was first quilted in the ditch then on the diagonal through the blocks, in the same direction as the strips. I felt any more quilting would be way over the top and detract from the design and fabrics. There's a little vintage embroidered linen name patch so that one day, whomever owns this quilt will know its provenance.





So there it is, one lovely quilt, all ready to go to a new home. Maybe! Thanks to all of you who kindly left messages yesterday and I am really looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow.





Wishing everyone a sunny and fun-filled weekend!

18 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. I really admire the talent and work that goes into making one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you bear saying goodbye to all these beauties that you make Hen?! This quilt is really lovely - the way you have chosen and put the colours together is really special. Very pretty and it looks gorgeous on the bed with your lovely cushions. Hope you have a great time at the fair.
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another very pretty quilt
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow Hen- from the lady who likes blue! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absoluetly beautiful ... love your colour choice ... it inspires me to make :)
    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen. Oh, so pretty!
    Have fun at the fair xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These quilts are beautiful, you put so much love and work into each one!!! It would take me a long time to finish a quilt of this size. If I am ever near your fair, I will come and visit......
    Happy weekend to you and good luck selling all your goodies!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous work! Very Pretty!

    Hugs
    Charo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally stunning .. your one talented lady! I also absolutely love the cushions you have on your bed. Just gorgeous.

    Naomi xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stunning quilts, well works of art really, they are so gorgeous.

    Was thinking of you and Mr and Mister Hen tonight,reading the paper, there is a 1940's weekend next week at Churnet Valley Railway's, sounds your kind of thing!

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the quilts...
    good luck for today, I'm sure there will be a very lucky person cuddling up in one of your quilts tonight.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really beautiful. Enjoy the fair, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work! Love the colours.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can also sew a string quilt on a muslim foundation block and then you don't have any tearing to do. Makes the quilt a little heavier, but not much. Use the thinnest muslim you can find. Love the colors in your quilt. Everytime I see one you have made, I want to make one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. another stunning quilt, I really love the stripes of fabric. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's wonderful. It looks so good on your bed. Sometimes I wonder how you can sell things that look so perfect right where they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a gorgeous quilt. i always wanted to try foundation piecing, but never found the "right" instructions.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X