Thursday, 23 December 2010

I wish

...it could be Christmas every day-yyyyyy!





Are you all ready then, ready for the big day? Oooooh, it's almost here, I'm so excited, Mr HenHouse finishes work tomorrow lunchtime and then the festivities can really begin. I've been beavering away here at home: cooking, wrapping, shopping, crafting, worrying over parcels which have not turned up, being pleased at parcels that have turned up..!





The jukey is loaded with seasonal tunes...





...and is looking a tad festive itself.





Yes, there has been quite a bit of this...





Not just in the hall!




The Christmas cake, baked long ago and diligently "fed" ever since, has been iced and it's all I can do to stop myself ploughing into it before Christmas Day. I've been making do with the gingerbreads (how stoic of you, Hen!)





Today, I even found the time to lay the table in the dining room as this is one thing I can do without having to do on the big day.





The Munchkin gets most excited about the choccies left by each person's place. This year there are two so he'll be a happy chappy!





Of course, there has still been much crafty stuff going on. Last week, I felt so tired with all the gifts I was making but this week with them all safely finished, I am really able to enjoy things and take everything at a more leisurely pace. I have even found time to make more gifts I hadn't expected to. Like this cushion, for example. Oh lovely red patchworky cushion, you.





Now I'm blushing a little as I write this as I had no idea this morning when I bought this cushion down from my Den to photograph it (before wrapping it), that I was going to like it so much on this chair in the dining room! Aaaarrrrgghhh!





I'm sorry but it simply has to stay!






I also managed to finish our Christmas quilt last week and am pleased with its ability to look bright and cheery and to be useful, too!





Along with the star blocks, I found a pattern for this tree block in a book which my sister gave to me and thought: a ha, Christmas tree, Christmas quilt!





The Munchkin has been poorly with a cold this last week so has been a little less exuberant. There has been much snuggling with the quilt and his ever constant furry friend.





Talking of furry friends, here I am attempting to hand sew my hexagons - under my latest, and very bouffey, ginger eidy - and two very large and furry ginger toms!





Back to the makes then, some things shall have to wait until after the big day to be revealed. However, I can keep the Munchkin away from my blog and show you this furry foxy friend I made for him to add to his menagerie...





I hope he is well received, he looks mightily sly, I think! So once the presents are bought, or mainly made in this house this year, there's all that wrapping to be done. Groan!





One benefit of the Munchkin being a little older is that he was keen to help this year so he wrapped all of his presents for Daddy himself, right down to the ribbons and tags.





I, meanwhile, was having a tad more trouble.





Aaarrrgghh, Jacky Ginge!





Noooooooooo!





Vorey's expression says it all!





As in the end, does a frustrated Jacky Ginger's!





Well, in fact it was not so much of a chore; fire roaring, mulled wine, furry friends for company, Christmas tunes on the jukey, and before long, the space under the tree was filling up with goodies...





And what a splendid tree it is!





I have also brought out my snowy village onto the mantelpiece, below the vintage Christmas-themed Eileen Soper print.





The lights are on, ready for all those pressies to arrive...





...carols are maybe being sung in the church on the hill...





...ssshhh, looks like the presents are on their way!





Our newest form of decoration this year is this rather fab drawing which the Munchy one brought home from school. It's Father Christmas dancing, but then you knew that, didn't you?





And so my friends, all that remains is to wish you all, from our house to yours, all the very best and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

41 comments:

  1. What a happy festive post Hen...all looks so wonderfully mickmassy!

    Have a really great day....love Mel, Olly and Pickle fluff ball!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Hen your home looks so festive and you have been so so busy :) Sounds like you are going to have an amazing Christmas dinner and a lovely time with the family. The mains water is frozen here so christmas day will consist of hauling a lot of water around the place. I can't take a shower either so it's annoying but it could be alot worse. I wish you, Mr Hen, the Munchkin and all in the Hen House a wonderful Christmas :)

    From All things nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think thats the nicest tree I've seen in a long while. Everything looks wonderful. I hope the Munchkin gets better soon. He reminds me of my nephew, who used to be a Munchkin but then seemed to fill out and shoot up, all at once. Have a lovely Christmas and don't feel guilty for keeping the cushion, it was so meant for that room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all looks fab hen.....the patchwork is amazing and very inspiring ,if i may say so.....have a wonderful christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks so beautiful, Hen. I don't blame you for keeping that lovely cushion, I don't know how you part with any of your fantastic creations.
    Thank you for creating a such a colourful blog which is always a pleasure to visit.
    Wishing you, your family and friends the happiest of Christmases and a wonderful 2011.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this cheery post, Hen! I so enjoyed it. All looks wonderful and festive.
    Have a splendid Christmas with your loved ones!
    Monica xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, your home looks so festive. By the way I absolutely agree with you about Joan Hickson being Miss Marple- she is THE Miss Marple and I am hoping someone will buy me the box set for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you, MrHH and Munchkin - have a great time :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading that post - a lovely view into someone else's Christmas preparations! I've just set the table in our new kitchen for a Christmas Eve family get together we're having tomorrow at midday - quite excited now! Have a lovely Christmas! (love the cushion, by the way :) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilts are truly stunning. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas Hen, Lucyxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. thankyou for sharing your exitment with us, andtakingthe time to upload all your fabby pics- I am VERY exited aswell. I love your tree is it real?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hen... Hen... Hen.... you have Festive Spirit in spades! The house and tree look amazing :) I love the lit wintry scene above the roaring fire. I am going to get myself a glass of mulled wine. You have injected me with christmassy feelings! Cheers to you and yours - I wish you the merriest of Yuletides!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas Hen. Your home looks very pretty and Christmassy, may I join you at Christmas......?
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely photos. I'm sure the Munchkin will be absolutely delighted with that sly old fox!
    What is it about cats and ribbons?
    Have a Wonderful Christmas and Fabulous New Year.
    JUne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas to you, too! I enjoy your blog so much! Thanks for keeping it fun and colorful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas , I can tell you have worked very hard to give your family a lovely time! jennyx don't forget to put your feet up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hen, I so love the look of the coming together of all the Christmassy preparations in your home. That young lad Munchkin has made a wonderful addition to this year's decorations.

    Your kitties really are too funny in their scene stealing ways.

    I've also been doing last minute baking today, and just painting a few last cards.

    Just about ready now.

    I do love this time of year.

    Best wishes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is the most awesome Dancing Santa ever! thank you for your posts, I really enjoy them! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Merry Christmas Hen!
    And a Happy New Year too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow!!!! such a beautiful festive home- it looks picture perfect ;0)
    your sweet boy wrapping- what a little treasure ;0)
    love your 'mahhhhusively' fabulous christmas tree- stunning!!!!
    looks too beautiful for words really but i tried x

    merry christmas, your blog always brings me such joy x

    ReplyDelete
  21. glad you kept the cushion- it just sung your name!
    enjoy enjoy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your house looks lovely! and you did right to keep the cushion lol... Cute photos of the cat helping out! Happy Christmas to you and your family x

    Priscilla x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hen, so pretty your post! Thank you very much for all. sorry my english. Merry Christmas for you and your family. kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love reading your posts and looking at all your photos - goodness knows where you get all your energy from!

    Wishing the Hen House family a wonderful Christmas with best wishes from the VK household xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. what delicious eye candy I love everything
    Merry Christmas
    xx fee

    ReplyDelete
  26. A lovely pussy cat post!!!! Merry Christmas to you & yours :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Everything is fantastic in your haus!
    Merry Christmas!
    Szilvia from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  28. A lovely Christmassy post.

    Wishing you and yours a lovely, happy and peaceful Christmas and all the very best for the New Year.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely post & photos Hen!
    Hope you & your family have a very happy Christmas!

    Jayne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. A very merry Christmas to the Henhouse family all the way from Venice!
    Also Betty is sending her regards and warm wishes :)
    Michela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Merry Christmas to you too Hen. I don't know where you get the energy. Everything looks wonderful!

    Hope munchkin enjoys himself.

    Sian x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Hen, your home looks absolutely wonderful and all your decorations looks so beautiful! Love your Christmas quilt, it's so christmassy and pretty. Lovely to see Harry having a good time already and the cats as usual seem to be enjoying themselves, they are all so adorable! Can't believe your dining table is already set and waiting; wish you could have come round to sort my house out - I've still got 'stuff' to do and even presents to wrap. Thank you for your many entertaining and enjoyable posts all year, your blog is a site for sore eyes - it really is lovely to visit. I do hope you and all your family have the best kind of Happy Christmas; wishing you all peace and happiness for 2011. Love Siobhan xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Merry Christmas!

    Have a wonderful time,

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Loved absolutely everything about this post! A very Merry Christmas to you and yours and your blog readers! Bess

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your house looks lovely and festive! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  36. All looks amazing! Loving the quilts!
    Hope you had a lovely Christmas and wish you a fantastic New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your house is looking so lovely and festive! I hope you had a lovely day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just catching up on all posts. This one is beautiful Hen and so so festive. xxxx Thank you so much for all of your time in 2010 - it is much appreciated. Have a wonderful New Year. Kerry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hope your day was all kinds of wonderful.

    Love that cushion and the star quilt is amazing - may just need to look into making one of those in the new year.

    Wishing the sly fox a happy new home in the menagerie, hope he doesn't scare your gorgeous furry friends.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  40. Happy Holidays! What a beautiful family, home and blog you have. You are so talented! I'm enjoying my visit and look forward to exploring further!
    hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  41. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas Hen! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X