Sunday, 31 August 2008

The Wanderers of the West Return...

Hello again bloggers!  We are newly returned from the West Country and full of tales of thrifty adventures.  I can't believe how quickly the week has flown by and how little I've achieved on my "to do" list.  Never mind!

It was lovely to spend more than just a weekend at our little cottage and we managed a few trips out and about.  We decided to go to Totnes again as we were so taken with it when we visited a few months ago for the first time.  It was a good decision as some splendid finds resulted and the sun shone all day!

There is a good market in Totnes and this time, it had its fair share of vintagey stalls.  Here is a particularly lovely one belonging to a lady called Amanda of whom I had already heard via another blog.  She has been kind enough to allow me to post some photos.  Drool away!






I understand Amanda is usually at the Friday market, we were just lucky this time, but bear that in mind if you fancy a visit.  Her stall is a pretty mix of vintage finds and handmade goods. Have a look again at the second photo.  I bought the mirror on the right hand side.  I have been after one of these painted mirrors for a while so imagine my delight when I had a choice of two! It is now adorning my growing "floral wall" at the cottage and necessitated a full-scale reshuffle, directed by yours truly but effected by my very helpful other half and his hammer. It's difficult to photograph well (particularly without getting my reflection in it which really ruins it!)




We bought a very nice art deco clock for our Burgh room from another stall (the items on the stall were the contents of a house left to the stallholder's mother, she told us) and I couldn't resist two pretty old rugs (only £5 each).  They're lovely and thick under your toes and I think will make the lounge lovely and snuggly in Winter...





Finished at the market (and having sampled a few delicious morsels at the Farmers' Market upstairs), we carried on up the hill to my fave shop, a real draw for me to visit Totnes and which I mentioned in a previous post, "This'n'That".  This time, being a slightly more experienced blogger, I managed to take a few shots of the exterior (I confess that I took them on my way out, I was once again too eager to dive inside!)




Hmm, I really would like that duck egg blue milk churn...

We succumbed to more (6!) vintage Eileen Soper prints (which accompanied the Enid Blyton nature books) and admired the beautiful selection of vintage and modern reproduction goods in the shop, artfully displayed.  Here you can see some of the prints on the walls.






The Munchkin was excited to behold a good stash of Enid Blyton and Ladybird books.




It was a joy to visit a shop where the owner enjoys having a chat about the things she sells and I highly recommend a visit.

Another attractive shop caught my eye...



It sells lots of old enamel signs.


And another one round the corner had a very fetching window display, not vintage goods but the next best thing, Cath K and Greengate!






The other great thing about Totnes is that there are lots of delightful tea shops.  




Add to this the South Devon Railway, and there is something to please all of us Hens...




3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cottage. The art deco mirror is fab. I love the shops you visited, just like stepping back in time. And the train, just like the famous five when they went off to camp or was it mystery moor? Whatever! I'll be off before im totally immersed in my nostalgic waffle! Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what lovely places to visit and great vintage finds! It's the best isn't it!

    Your sis has some lovely bits... carltonware collection to die for and sweet embroideries...can I come round and drool please!!! D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hen!
    How lovely it was to meet you last Saturday and how kind of you to post about your visit to my stall!
    I'm so pleased that you love your mirror. It's not often that I get to see the final destination of my finds so it's great to see it already in place and looking just perfect on your floral wall!
    You have a lovely blog...a girl after my own heart! I've added you to my 'favs' so will be looking in on you again!
    Happy blogging and bargain spotting and hope to see you again the next time you're down!
    Love
    Amanda-Shabby Chick x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X