Tuesday, 15 July 2008

Hello!

For quite some time now, I've been lurking and enjoying other people's blogs.  I've been hankering after setting up my very own and after a few days of extreme frustration (I really am not a technical person), here I am!  I still haven't managed to get everything working properly (eg. the Flickr flash badge, grrrrrrr), but I'm getting there in other respects.  Now I'm overwhelmed with things I feel like blogging about and photos I want to share with you.  I consider it would be sensible to start with the basics so here's a photo of me as I think it's nice to put a face to the words...



This was last Thursday at Harry's school summer fair and amazingly, we had a day of sunshine amidst a week of rain.  I am at my usual post, that is on the cake stall, for which I'd made good old fashioned gingerbread men, iced fairy cakes, a chocolate traybake with hundreds and thousands and some giant Smarties cookies.  As you can see, there is a reason why I am no longer slim!  I also sold all the jars of homemade preserves I took and a lady even stopped me in the street the next day and asked to come and buy some more as the marmalade was the best she'd ever tasted!  High praise indeed and she then bought 9 jars so my cupboards at home are looking a bit empty (but my purse a little fuller!)

Today I received this in the post which I bought a couple of days ago while mooching on Ebay:



I'm looking forward to cutting Marmalade out, sewing his sides up and stuffing him, so to speak.  Printed on the edges of the cotton, are the directions "Stuff with cotton wool" which strike me as a bit rubbish (I think things have moved on since Marmalade was born) so I think I'll opt for polyfill.  It will be nice to have him at our weekend place while our own furry friends are left back in London.  I can just picture him now, beside the inglenook, on the eiderdown on the Victorian iron bed, on the Lloyd Loom...

Yesterday, I did a bit of crafting, with a project taken from the lovely book "Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts" by Joelle Henderson of Purl Soho fame.  I've not really done any quilting before and it has a brilliant section at the back telling you how to assemble the quilt sandwich (yum!) and how to bind the edges, amongst other pearls of wisdom.  Anyway, I made Harry this pencil roll.  It took a while to choose and cut out all the coloured strips but I'm so pleased with the result.  His room at our cottage is a shrine to all things cowboy and my sister bought me a stash of cowboy themed fabrics a while ago, one of which I used for the exterior.  I'm going to give it to him to keep him occupied on our train journey down to the cottage on Friday after school, I hope he'll like it.




It gave me a chance to use my new walking foot on my machine which looked so scary I was a bit fearful of using it.  Anyway, it worked a treat and I now have the urge to quilt so I may not be producing too many bags in the next few weeks!    Usefully, my friend from Bar school, Lorna, has just had her baby, two weeks early!  Congratulations, Lorna and Mike, on the birth of baby Felix, a brother to Hugo.  Looking forward to a picture, please.  The book just happens to have a few baby quilt projects so today, I placed a bit of an extravagant order with Cotton Patch who actually stock the items the author suggests you need (you know, the ones mentioned in American craft books which you can't find over here).  So, watch this space for my first quilt project.

Thanks to anyone who has dropped by to read.  I'd love to get corresponding with you all.  It's been an unusually lovely day here in London and I've got the bbq going so I must go and get the sausages (and err, the wine)...

Bye, please call back!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your blog, don't worry the widgets do work, eventually!!

    I'm still waiting for my copy of Last Minute Patchwork Gifts only ordered 2 months ago from Amazon!!! I like what you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There,

    Love you site...you've inspired me to get going with my blog of all things crafty!

    Tamara,
    Melbourne, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just reached here from Sept 08 ! phew what a journey. I fell in love with idea of owning a holdiay cottage - this became a reality 7 years ago. We bought a cottage in the Cotswolds. It is fun going out to buy all the bits that you need for it...a real treat. Do you rent it out? I am now selling my cottage in Stow on the Wold and looking to buy in Sussex - the two hour drive has got me down lately and I want a beach. I love where your cottage is..do you get to use it very much? we are very lucky to have second homes. We also live in London...for now anyway!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X